If you’re looking for a unique way to introduce your homeschoolers to the concept of researching, then this Abraham Lincoln Research Study will help! Below are prompts, ideas, and suggestions all about Abraham Lincoln. Use the layout for researching other topics and concepts too! Don’t forget to download your free research study pack at the end of the post!
Benefits of Teaching Your Homeschoolers How to Research
Knowing how to conduct good, solid research is linked to many benefits. For starters, it fosters critical thinking and analytic skills through hands-on learning. Research also expands the knowledge and understanding of a particular subject matter. Other skills that are fashioned involve paying attention to detail, the ability to search out a matter, and the ability to seek and find answers for oneself.
Abraham Lincoln Research Study
Biography of Abraham Lincoln.
Here are a few interesting biographical facts about Abe:
- born February 12, 1809
- lived in a one-room log cabin in Nolin Creek, KY until he was 7-years-old
- spent many years living in Indiana before moving to Illinois
- held many jobs before settling on law
- became the 16th President of the United States in 1860
- signed the emancipation proclamation
- was assassinated by John Wilkes Booth
Abraham Lincoln Quotes
Most infamous people are known for saying particular things. When it came to Abe, he said his fair share of things people still quote right now today.
“Whatever you are, be a good one.”
“Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?”
“America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.”
“I am a slow walker, but I never walk back.”
“Those who look for the bad in people will surely find it.”— Abraham Lincoln
Research Prompt Questions
Start the research process with questions like these:
- During what war was Lincoln famous for leading our country in?
- When was Abraham Lincoln born?
- How many years did he serve in congress?
- In what year did the Civil War end?
- What book did Lincoln use to win the lawsuit for one of his cases?
- Who shot Abraham Lincoln?
- What is the Gettysburg Address?
- Define the Emancipation Proclamation
- What is a squatter and what does it have to do with Abe’s family?
Below are a few educational videos that can be used for research.
Free Abraham Lincoln Research Study Pack
Learn all types of interesting facts about Abraham Lincoln with this Abraham Lincoln Research Activity Pack! It comes with:
- a biography of Abraham Lincoln
- notebooking pages
This resource is meant to help spark the journey of research and help your homeschoolers learn the importance of looking up information about a subject. You’ll also find a STEM idea in this pack too!
Continue the Research Method with Other Resources
As your homeschooler continues learning how to research through this activity, incorporate other subjects and concepts using a similar mode of study listed above. All your kids need are things to study and questions to prompt their research. The overall goal is to help them fashion skills that will be used for years to come!